Monday, June 23, 2014

So I went to a sci-fi Burlesque show...

    I should have mentioned in my welcome that I live in DC. Quel surprise. Young, black and living in the District; how unique. Whatever, I love it here.
     So this past Friday there was a Burlesque show at the Black Cat that was called Whedonism. It's burlesque based on Joss Whedon's amazing catalog of work. If you want to check it out, the group that does it is called Evil League of Ecdysiasts.
     I biked there ahead of time for the Dr. Who Happy Hour. This was my first time at the Black Cat believe it or not. The decor was cool and comfortable but Black Cat please start accepting debit/credit cards. I am morally opposed to ATM fees and would rather walk around the block and get cash back at the Rite-Aid than pay whatever Cayman Islands bank that runs your ATM a fee to get my coins that I work so hard for.
     After my cash finding mission I settled in. I've never been a big Dr. Who fan but this episode was pretty good. It was called "The Crimson Horror" and was a nice little appetizer for the entree of geekiness that was coming up. I didn't get my tickets ahead of time and the first show was sold out but I bought a ticket off of someone who was willing to go to the later show. Shout out to Chance even though you will probably never see this. I got a seat right up close to the stage so I had a great view. The performances were really funny; it was less about trying to titillate the audience and more about just being comfortable in your skin and having a good damn time on stage. The women came in all shapes and sizes and had me thinking that I could get on stage and do a shimmy or two for the Vine. Apparently they all make their own costumes too which I loved because that is a hobby of mine (I'll show you guys my catalog of costumes one of these days). There were routines from Buffy (the #1 series of my teenage years), Angel, Firefly, the Avengers, and some more that I can't remember at the moment but I got my sci-fi life on that very evening. Shout out to Gigi Holliday who gave me some great tips on where to get stuff for future costumes and showed out in her Avengers routine. Keep repping for us black geekettes.
   Overall I had a great time and I just found out that Black Cat has a BSG happy hour on Saturdays. I will definitely be going to one of those and will let you know how it goes. Or you can come join me and we can watch Adama kick some Cylon ass together. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment